- any (indoor or outdoor) articles whose phthalate containing material may be mouthed or is in prolonged contact with human skin or any contact with mucous membranes, and
- any phthalate containing articles that are used (including stored) in an indoor environment where people are present under normal and reasonably foreseeable conditions and potentially exposed via inhalation. This does not apply to articles that are used only in industrial or agricultural workplaces by workers.
The proposed restriction derogates:
- articles placed on the EU market prior to the application of the restriction (envisaged three years after entry into force, i.e., probably 2020);
- articles covered by existing legislation on: food contact materials, immediate packaging of medicinal products, medical devices;
- toys and childcare articles containing DEHP, DBP and BBP as they are already covered under restriction entry 51 of Annex XVII of REACH but not those articles containing DIBP;
- measuring devices for laboratory use.
The 1st deadline for comments on the draft restriction expires 09/01/2016. Final deadline for comments – 15/12/2016.